Sunday, December 7, 2008

Rose! You 走狗!

A few days ago, Rose staged a prison break. It's not that I kept Rose in a prison, but Rose managed to break the carabina that connected to her leash. And she enjoyed 20 minutes of dangerous freedom while I was running in the rain like a madman looking for her. For the record, it's the second breakaway this work-year, the first one was Daisy. Daisy was not as troublesome as this Rose. In the case of Rose, I could not call out to her and run after her because that would only make her run away further and faster. Pavlov was a genius for coming up with the classical condition theory and I used just that to get Rose back to me.

A day after the prison break incident, I was on my way home from Boon Lay. Bus 172 was packed with foreign workers. At one point, there was an India Indian worker who had no idea whether he was on the right bus for his destination, and he, so, asked the driver, who was a PRC Chinese national.
Indian: "emmekeg?"
Chinese: "Huh?"
Indian: "emmekeg?"
Chinese: "Huh?"
The driver, being very cool given the situation turned to the passengers/audience and asked politely.
Chinese: "不好意思,有沒有人听得懂能幫我翻譯一下?"
Act-Smart Auntie: "Where do you want to go?"
Indian: "emmekeg?"
Act-Smart Uncle: "Oh.. MRT, which one?"
Indian: "no.. emmekeg."
At this point in time, the Thai worker who was sitting beside me responded.
Thai: "Oh! Amakeng!"

Alas, I was suddenly enlightened by the words from the Thai worker. I knew where he was heading. And I told him to take a seat, as it was still quite a long way before the stop. The driver was not too comfortable with what was going on and ask me whether the Indian worker had taken the wrong bus. I assured him that everything was okay. It seemed that the nobody except the Thai and me knew where exactly the Indian wanted to go. And the Act-Smart couple carried on questioning the Indian to find out where he wanted to go.

The Indian was thankful to me and I was thankful to the Thai. Well, I supposed some credits could go to the Act-Smart couple as they did attempt to render some help. The bus driver did a good job as well. Although he was not proficient in English in that situation, Act-Smart couple, although being fluent in English could not understand either. But the driver had the heart to ask around and bite on until he was sure that the lost was heading the right way.

So, did the Indian finally reached Ama Keng? I think he did.

No comments: