Tuesday, December 23, 2008

葉問

I watched Ip Man today, alone, that is if you do not count in the chatterboxes in the cinema. I had planned to go ahead with this film, regardless of whether my friends could make it. First, it was sea monkey who said over the weekend that he get back to me on whether he wants to watch it today; but the reply never came. Then Senpai Susan wanted to come, but was unable to because of last minute commitments. But these had no influence on my decision to watch it. In fact, I had the company of Yuan Xiong and Manling, who I only realised were in the same theatre when the film ended. Then on the way home, I met Mingli and only then, did I realised that she stays one bus stop from my house.

Ip Man has to be one of the best films I've seen this year. The excellent fight scene done by an equally good artiste, Donnie Yen, choreographed by yet another gem in the industry, Sammo Hung. One line that stays in my mind until now is when the gangster asked the hawker who is the best martial artiste in Foshan, the hawker's reply was, "當然是葉問,難道我阿!" I forgave the whole theatre for 'lol'ing, though I thought the laughter could be minimised further.

Another aspect about this film that earns my liking is that it does not overly demonise the Japanese for their occupation during the WW2. In fact, this film highlighted how gracious the Japanese culture is (with the exception of Colonel Sato). Most of the feud in the movie are fueled by misunderstanding and miscommunication. And it also shows how haughty the Chinese can be about their own achievements. General Miura also earned my respect with his honourable character. The general chided Colonel Sato for blatant killings and despised all shadowy and disgraceful acts.

This film is definitely worth my $7.00 and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys fighting scenes with sufficient humour.


No comments: