Thursday, June 23, 2011

Hopeless creatures

Recently, I encountered a couple of sorry organisations when it comes to customer servicing / call handling.

First, it's HDB. I appealed against a notice of offence for parking my vehicle at my house MSCP. I was issued a ticket because I had transferred the season parking to my friend's place as I was away for reservist. It happened that for 2 nights, I was able to out-pro and return home. And it also happened that for these 2 nights, I was issued tickets for parking at my house carpark. I appealed on the ground that I had actually purchased season parking, and I had only technically parked at the wrong carpark, and in real terms, I had not caused a nett increase in cars in either my house carpark or my friend's. HDB mentioned that they will reply within 2 weeks and that I could hold the fine until they replied. It's been a month since I heard from them - sitting on it?

Then, it came MOM. I helped auntie with an appeal for transfer of a foreign worker from another company to her's. MOM needed more time, 3 weeks for processing of appeals submitted via iSubmit. I certainly hope the 'i' does not refer to intelligence because I certainly sense any, both from the humans and from the machines. From past experience, if you call them up to remind them that their 3 weeks are up, they will tell you they require 3 working weeks, i.e. 21 working days in their context, which is a whole calendar month (why don't they just mention 21 working days? trying to sound efficient?). And when you call them after a month, they will tell you they are looking into it, and you get a rejection the next day - an easy way out.

Today's episode is starred by Singnet. I called the customer care number as printed on the router supplied by Singnet and highlighted my problem to them, not before waiting 15 minuted listening to music, 'sorry's, 'please hold the line', 'we will attend to you shortly' and what-have-them. Alas, the officer had to tell me to call another number for Singnet Business. So, why don't they just print that number? Anyway, I called up that number and was served by another officer who just woke up and unsure that she is still in Singapore. She asked me what modem I am using, to which I replied the 2Wire, and she asked me the color, black was my answer, and where I bought it? I said Singnet's courier sent it. After some other questioning, she ask me whether I had bought the modem at some other place. I was baffled and amused in a bad way, like watching a lousy comedy and the rest of the cinema is laughing away at a joke not funny enough. In any way, my problem was not solved, she asked me to plug in my modem directly to the wall outlet and bypass the fax. So if it works, am I suppose to terminate the fax line from Singtel? Or will I need to call again, to be served by an officer apart from her - easy way out again.

No comments: