Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mmpoh

'ah mm' refers to an elder uncle's wife. (Mandarin: 伯母.)
'mm poh' refers to an grand'elder uncle's wife. (Mandarin: 伯母婆.)

The LCD showed "Service Hall 2 - Tan Cheng". It was only then that mmpoh's name got engraved into my mind. After a short ritual, the whole lot of friends and relatives hurried into viewing gallery 2, to catch a final glimpse of mmpoh's coffin, draped with a red banner, pushed into the furnace with an automated trolley. Everyone called out to her, among which, one callout touched a chord in me:

'mm ar! ai der lin sun'ar dng chu hor!' - which translates to, 'Auntie! follow your grandsons home!'

I believed that call was made by mmpoh's eldest son, who died years back in a construction accident.

My memories of mmpoh was largely during the days back at Lorong Terigu. Peh Gong and Si Jek Gong's family lived adjacent my Ah Gong in zinc-roof houses. Ah Ma, Si Jim Poh and Mmpoh are typical housewives who discusses issues like groceries, kueh, fabrics and where to perm their hair. Mmpoh was not someone very closed to me personally, but she took good care of her grandsons when alive, and I believe even in her afterlife.

The last night of the wake was grand. People from all walks of life appeared, soldiers in uniform, office workers, social groups and even gangsters. All had one thing to do, i.e. to pay their respect to Madam Tan Cheng. The night was incense-infused.

On the final day, the sky was pouring on and off, as though crying for a bunch of sons, daughters and grandchildren who were holding back their tears. Though I profess, for the whole of yesterday, to be eating snake, I do not regret, because I get to send off a relative, for the final time.

No comments: