Saturday, June 13, 2009

功德的多個面孔

Today marks the official start of my grandfather's two-day gong teck, which is essentially a ritual to accumulate merits to contribute to the good afterlife of our deceased relatives. However, what I witnessed is nothing less than a kaleidoscope.

功德 as an event of extravagance...
Fans, lights and water were switched on almost non-stop.

功德 as a stock take of live relatives...
A gathering in disguised. I saw many relatives, some whom I do not even recognise.

功德 as a stock take of the dead...
All the dead lined up at the very centre of attraction. I can clearly see who are those who left us.

功德... as a sorrowful story of a mum who lost her son...
I vividly remembered this auntie used to have a son and a daughter. Both of them resemble their mother. Cute-looking and adorable. Today, I saw the son's picture in black and white, which means, he is dead. I asked my uncle what took his life, and it was leukemia. I was saddened. I felt sad for the mother and at the same time I felt immense respect for her, for her strength to carry on with life.

No comments: