Sunday, April 18, 2010

Customer service lesson

A few days back, I spoke with a certain mister from the People's Association. Our roles in the tele-conversation were that of a service personnel (me) and customer.

This person (let's refer to him as Roy) called to ask about a quotation sent to him earlier on. Roy asked whether the quotation, which explicitly did not include any tablecloths, included any tablecloths. I replied negative. He went on to ask whether the tablecloths could be included, to which I replied him that it was possible, but would incur extra cost on his part. He pressed on to ask whether it could be free. I told him that I cannot make this decision and would consult the manager before answering him, and I did what I said. The manager mentioned that it cannot be rented for free because it would cost us quite a bit for laundry, however, the disposable table cloth could be given complimentary. I called Roy and informed him of the outcome of my consultation with the manager. I could tell he was quite disappointed by the outcome and he proposed that we provide him with two tablecloth for free. I consulted the manager again and got a negative reply with the same rationale. And I conveyed to Roy the message. And that was the point where the ugly drama started.

Roy: "Com'on, it is only two tablecloth."
Me: "We have to spend money for laundry after which."
Roy: "Your business is so big, can't you even provide me with two tablecloths?"
Me: "Whatever I can provide you complimentarily, I have already done so, for these, I cannot accede."

His offensive stance began:

Roy: "I tell you lah! You are not cut out to be a businessman, it is only two tablecloth you also want to count with me. I got other supplier about the same price also, I can go for them you know."
Me: "Well, if there is another supplier who can provide you with a better package, I would really encourage you to go for them."
Roy: "I tell you, you really cannot be a businessman. You company is so big and this small thing you also cannot give me."
Me: "Sir, since you know our company is so big, you would know that we will give you whatever we can provide for free, but I've already explained to you, the price for these two tablecloth is for laundry, what else do you want me to do?"
Roy: "It's only $6. You know, now I have not asked you for discount. I am not going to ask for discount if you provide me two tablecloth for free. If I were to ask you for discount later, it would not be just $6 you know."
Me: "Sir, I understand that you can ask for discount, but I believe it is not mandatory that we have to give it to you."
Roy: "You really don't know how to do business lah!"

He repeated the rubbish about the $6, compared to the 'discount' he thinks he was entitled to. I later directed him to talk to the manager straight. On examination of his statement, I could deduce that he is the one who cannot do the maths. If he had a supplier who was able to provide the deal for a lower price, he should have gone for it. And I do not think I am doing the wrong think to ask him to do that, because I was having his interest at mind, being a service personnel. Unless, of course, he is lying to me that he actually has another supplier, which I think could be very probable.

No comments: